The Tarlton-Pepper-KAI joint venture successfully completed the LEED Gold expansion of the historic Saint Louis Art Museum in Forest Park. London-based architect David Chipperfield’s design called for an addition to the east and south of the original 1904 Cass Gilbert-designed building, with a dark, polished concrete façade incorporating Missouri river aggregate.
The 40,000 sf cast architectural concrete coffered ceiling is believed to be the first of its kind in an art museum. The project represents a 30 percent increase in the museum’s gallery and public space, allowing for touring exhibitions and for broader display of collections with more than 30,000 objects. A new below-grade garage with 300 spaces more than doubled parking capacity.